Friday, April 11, 2008

From Firenze with Amore

'Sup Taters. I find myself in Florence, the city of art and flowers. How I got here is a long and fascinating story, but they're not paying me by the word, so I ain't gonna get into it.

Also, Italian keyboards are a puzzling thing for an American. Many of the keys that I'm used to aren't where they're supposed to be, replaced instead by letters with funny squiggles on them. So my flow is like, seriously challenged.

But still: The city is truly beautiful. Narrow streets, red tile roofs and all the rest: motor scooters, large public piazze, gelato, funny-shaped cars, balmy weather. Magnificent architecture all around; the façade's of those massive churches are something to behold.

I've been storing up some piercing insights to lay on the web, but none of them is coming to mind right now.

I will say that it's an incredibly romantic place, and if you come here with any longing in your heart, you'd better be prepared to fend off loneliness. That, or start hitting on chicks pronto. You can go either way, and their aren't any guarantees. I'm still settling into the groove, reading A Moveable Feast, which is a wonderful companion to have when in Europe. There is much time for doing, and little time for reflecting, and so I leave off with that.

No comments: